News

Forget us not
No nos olviden

Forget us not

Veterans call for return of Memorial Day Parade

Story and photos by Robin Elisabeth Kilmer


DSC_2717 WEB
“That should never happen again,” says Frank Costanzo (left) with fellow veteran Monroe Busch (right), on the cancellation of Inwood’s Memorial Day Parade.

Frank Costanzo and Monroe Busch – each in their late 80’s – walked to the corner of Broadway and Dyckman Street for Memorial Day parade that sets out from the intersection every year.

Busch has been participating in the parade for 45 years, he said, and finally got Costanzo, a long-time friend, involved three years ago.

“They did a good job,” said Busch of the parade.

“I get a kick out of it,” agreed Costanzo with a chuckle. “It was small, but sufficient.”

It was also the only Memorial Day parade in Manhattan.

Young at heart, the two Inwood residents were excited to march in the parade with other veterans.

This past Mon., May 27th, they joined together with a throng of fellow neighborhood residents waiting for the parade to start.

DSC_2712 v2 WEB
At 17, Monroe Busch joined the Air Force, like his brother Marvin. At right, Busch holds a photo of Marvin, who never returned from war.

Their wait was in vain, however, as the parade was not held this year.

Organizers explained that the absence of the parade was due to the sequester and the subsequent cancellation of Fleet Week.

Instead, there was a service held at Good Shepherd Church, followed by a wreath-laying ceremony at the September 11 Memorial Garden.

The group gathered at Broadway and Dyckman Street was not aware, however, that the parade had been canceled.

“There was nobody to tell us anything,” said Busch.

The pair, who fought in World War II, said they felt snubbed.

World War II was the deadliest war in history, resulting in at least 50 million fatalities worldwide. Currently, there are just over one million surviving veterans in the United States. Many soldiers who fought in the war were teenagers when they went off to war.

Busch enlisted with the Air Force in 1943 when he was 17.

IMG_2502 WEB
Costanzo (far right, rear) spent a year in Japan after the Japanese surrendered.

Busch’s brother, Marvin, was also in the Air Force; his plane was shot down when he was on a mission over Burma.

His brother was never found, and the two soldiers accompanying him ended up in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp, where one of the men subsequently died.

Costanzo, drafted in 1944 as an 18-year-old, was stationed in the Philippines during the war.

He remembered being put on a cattle train that took him to the interior after landing in the Philippines.

“I saw so many dead bodies,” he recalled.

The fallen were strewn by the train tracks.

In the six major wars of the past century, there have been over 1,700,000 casualties; 1,076,245 of those were from World War II alone.

These experiences, they said, make the lack of the parade difficult to understand; the sting was palpable in their voices.

“I took it very hard,” said Busch. “How can they use a word like sequester when they’re talking about people in the war? I don’t see the excuse as far as money is concerned.”

The two octogenarians said the parade won’t be cancelled again next year.

“That should never happen again,” said Costanzo.

 

No nos olviden

Veteranos piden el regreso de la Parada del Dia de la Conmemoración

Historia y fotos por Robin Elisabeth Kilmer


DSC_2717 WEB
Frank Costanzo (izq.) y Monroe Busch (der.) esperan que la Parada del Día de la Conmemoración sea reinstalada el próximo año.

Frank Costanzo y Monroe Busch – ambos en sus 80 – caminaron a la esquina de Broadway y la Calle Dyckman para participar en la parada del Día de la Conmemoración que comienza en la intersección cada año.

Busch ha estado participando en la parada por 45 años, dijo, y finalmente envolvió a Costanzo, amigo de mucho tiempo, hace tres años atrás.

“Hicieron buen trabajo”, dijo Busch de la parada.

“Yo lo disfruto”, rió Costanzo del recuerdo de las paradas. “Era pequeña, pero suficiente”.

También era la única parada del Día de la Conmemoración en Manhattan.

A pesar de su edad, los dos residentes de mucho tiempo de Inwood estaban emocionados de marchar en la parada con otros veteranos.

DSC_2712 v2 WEB
Monroe se enlisto a los 17 años.

Este pasado lunes, 27 de mayo, se unieron a una multitud de otros residentes del vecindario que esperaban que la parada comenzara.

Sin embargo, su espera fue en vano, porque la parada anual este año no se celebró.

Los organizadores explicaron que la ausencia de la parada fue debido al embargo y la subsiguiente cancelación de la Semana de la Flota.

En su lugar, hubo un servicio en la Iglesia Good Shepherd, seguido por la ceremonia de ofrenda floral en el Jardín Conmemorativo del 11 de Septiembre.

Sin embargo, el grupo reunido en Broadway y la Calle Dyckman no sabían que la parada había sido cancelada.

“No había nadie para decirnos nada”, dijo Busch.

El par, quien luchó en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, se sintió desairado.

La Segunda Guerra Mundial fue la guerra más mortal en la historia, resultando en por lo menos 50 millones de muertes a nivel mundial.

IMG_2502 WEB
Costanzo (lejos a la izquierda) pasó un año en Japón luego de que los japoneses se rindieran.

Actualmente, hay cerca de más de un millón de veteranos sobrevivientes en los Estados Unidos. Muchos soldados que lucharon en la guerra cuando eran adolescentes y fueron a la guerra.

Busch se enlistó con las Fuerzas Aereas en el 1943 cuando tenía 17 años. El hermano de Busch, Marvin, también estaba en las Fuerzas Aéreas; su avión fue derribado cuando estaba en una misión sobre Burma. Su hermano nunca fue encontrado, y los dos soldados que los acompañaban terminaron en un campamento japonés prisioneros de guerra, donde posteriormente uno de los hombres murió.

Costanzo, quien fue llamado en el 1944 cuando era un chico del Brooklyn de 18 años, estuvo estacionado en las Filipinas durante la guerra.

Costanzo recordó ser puesto en un tren de ganado que lo llevó al interior luego de aterrizar en las Filipinas.

“Vi tantos cadáveres”, recordó. Los caídos fueron esparcidos por las vías del tren.

Aunque los japoneses ya no controlan las Filipinas, estos mantienen una presencia en la isla. Costanzo dijo que se quedan en cuevas en las montanas donde las tropas americanas fueron estacionadas.

“Ellos salían en la noche y atacaban a los hombres en las casetas”, recordó Costanzo. En las seis principales guerras del siglo pasado, ha habido más de 1,700,000 víctimas; 1,075,245 de aquellos eran solo de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

Estas experiencias, dijo el, hacen la falta de la parada difícil de asimilar.

“Lo tomé bien en serio”, dijo Busch. “¿Cómo pueden utilizar una palabra como embargo cuando están hablando de personas en la guerra? No veo la excusa en cuanto a dinero se refiere”.

Los dos octogenarios dijeron que la parada no seria cancelada nuevamente el próximo año.

“Eso no debería de volver a suceder”, dijo Costanzo.

Related Articles

Check Also
Close
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker